The holiday spirit kicks into high gear in Center Moriches this weekend.
From Friday night’s Chamber of Commerce Christmas tree lighting ceremony to Saturday night’s Holiday Parade of Lights down Main Street to Sunday’s Winter Wonderland in town, residents and visitors have plenty of choices for holiday events in the area.
Here’s what you need to know.
Dec. 10 • Chamber of Commerce of the Moriches Tree Lighting
- At 7 p.m. in the Center Moriches Square (King Kullen Shopping Center – 552 Main St.) is the annual tree lighting.
- Enjoy a night of caroling, hot chocolate and cookies, and meet Santa Claus.
Dec. 11 • Center Moriches Fire Department
- From 6-8 p.m. is the annual Holiday Parade of Lights by the Center Moriches Fire Department.
- The parade starts at the intersection of Main Street and Lake Avenue and ends at Main Street and Ocean Avenue.
- If there is inclement weather, the parade will be moved to Dec. 12 at 5 p.m.
- For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dec. 11 – VFW Post 414- Meet & Greet Mr. and Mrs. Claus
- From 7-9 p.m., the VFW Post 414 at 437 Montauk Highway in Center Moriches will host a meet and greet with Santa and Mrs. Claus.
- The event is free.
- Hot dogs and hot chocolate will be available.
- Santa will arrive following the Center Moriches Fire Department parade of lights.
- For more information, click here to contact the organizer of the event.
Dec. 12 – Winter Wonderland Street Fair and Festival
- The chamber’s first-ever holiday street festival is 10 a.m.-3 p.m. on Main Street in Center Moriches.
- The road will close west of the Center Moriches Fire Department (Chichester Avenue) to the St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church on Ocean Avenue.
- There will be music in front of at the Love of Country store (333-8 Main St.).
- More than 35 vendors will be on the street.
- Kids and adults can also partake in the “elf hunt” at some of the participating shops.
- At the festival, those who want to participate will receive a sheet, on which they will look to write what each elf’s name is.
- Restaurants will have specials, Christmas carolers and holiday characters the likes of Santa and the Grinch will walk along Main Street.
- “People are very excited something is going on in town,” said organizer Tova Keblish, who owns Gavin’s Treasures. “We did so well on the fall festival, we said let’s do it again in the winter. We put this together in like two months.”
- Click here for more information.
Continue to follow greatermoriches.com for updates on these holiday events.
Top: Santa Claus atop a Center Moriches Fire Department truck (GreaterMoriches.com file photo).