The worker electrocuted and killed while working on runway lights at Long Island MacArthur Airport on Wednesday was a former member of the Bayport Fire Department.
Michael Jakob was described in a heartfelt statement released by the fire department as “a fun, kind hearted person.”
“The Bayport Fire Department, mourns the loss of former member,” the statement reads. “We are immensely grateful to have had him as part of our family for the time we did.”
Police said Jakob, 51, of Holbrook was electrocuted about 2:50 p.m. and taken by Sayville Community Ambulance to Stony Brook University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Jakob is the son-in-law of former Bayport Fire Department Chief Rup Christensen.
A second employee, Gino Fiermonte, 49, of Ronkonkoma, sustained electrical shock injuries while attempting to help Jacob. He was taken to Stony Brook University Hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries.