In a year of health crises and political turmoil, readers increasingly turned to Greater Long Island for local, reliable news and information they could trust.
The sites topped a whopping 5 million views in 2020, with 3.4 million visitors. The 5 million mark was reached on Dec. 29.
“We did our very best as journalists to objectively cover rallies of all sorts, provide timely COVID-19-related announcements, but also publish stories that we felt provided a sense of normalcy during uncertain times,” said publisher Michael White.
Below are five internal highlights from 2020:
• The Press Club of Long Island named us 3rd among the best news websites on Long Island, a list that also included newsday.com and longisland.news12.com.
• We have committed to a top-to-bottom redesign of our websites through a contract with Driven Digital, based in Bohemia, to debut in 2021.
• Our GreaterSayville site, which is published in conjunction with veteran journalist Brian Harmon of Harmonizer Media, topped 1 million all-time views.
• Greater Long Island Media Group Inc. launched GreaterSmithtown on Oct. 15. The site has since been providing engaging local news stories from across the entire town.
• We grew our staff and recently increased the role of reporter Ana Borruto of Brightwaters, who now creates content across all the sites for Greater Long Island.
about Greater Long Island
Greater Long Island Media Group, Inc., is Long Island’s fastest-growing news organization, founded and run by professional journalists.
Click here for the latest news from all of our websites.
Photo: The Nissequogue River in Smithtown in October, 2020. (Credit: Andrew Theodorakis/Yellow House Images)