Clicky

Accused Christmas CVS killer pleads not guilty to first-degree murder

|

The Linderhurst man accused in the brutal Christmas Day killing of a 23-year-old CVS worker pleaded not guilty Wednesday to a grand jury indictment charging him with first‑degree murder in the brutal stabbing.

The indictment stems from the attack at the CVS store on East Montauk Highway in Lindenhurst, where the victim, Edeedson “Eddy” Ciné Jr. of West Babylon was working a holiday shift when he was violently stabbed shortly before 7 p.m.

Prosecutors said 43-year-old John Pilaccio, lunged at Ciné with a knife and stabbed him in the chest. The assault continued as the defendant jumped over the front counter and again attacked him with the knife, authorities said.

Ciné, suffering from stab wounds to his chest and head, was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center in West Islip, where he was pronounced dead.

Pilaccio, who was arrested the following day at his home just blocks away from the CVS, was remanded without bail and is due back in court later this month. He faces life in prison without possibility of parole if found guilty of first-degree murder.

Ciné is a 2020 graduate of North Babylon High School who had been working at the CVS for about 10 months. He was called in on Christmas at the last‑minute to cover a shift after a coworker called out, according to family and community members.

‘Senseless tragedy’

Edeedson Ciné Sr. spoke at the vigil honoring his son Edeedson "Eddy", who was killed at work at CVS in Lindenhurst on Thursday.
Edeedson Ciné Sr. spoke at the vigil honoring his son Edeedson “Eddy,” who was killed at work at CVS in Lindenhurst on Christmas Day.

“While families in our community were celebrating Christmas, one family suffered an unimaginable loss. My heart goes out to Edeedson Cine, Jr.’s loved ones for their loss, which must be especially hard during the holidays,” Suffolk District Attorney Raymond Tierney said. “This senseless tragedy should have never happened.”

In the days after Ciné’s death, hundreds of residents gathered for candlelight vigils and tributes in Lindenhurst, where friends, family and local leaders remembered him as selfless and devoted to service. A GoFundMe in his memory raised more than $100,000 to support his grieving family.

Early on in the investigation, police publicly criticized CVS corporate for delaying release of surveillance video, saying the 18‑hour delay hindered initial investigative efforts.

Pilaccio is scheduled to return to Suffolk County Court on Feb. 23.

The district attorney said the tragedy was especially painful given the holiday timing and praised the Suffolk County Police Department for its swift work in apprehending the accused. “This senseless tragedy should have never happened,” he said.

Top: (left) John Pilaccio mugshot (provide by Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office), (right) Edeedson Ciné (Instagram) and (main) CVS on East Montauk Highway in Lindenhurst (Google Maps).

Our Local Supporters

Cops & Courts