Add another former Stony Brook Seawolf to your NFL watchlist.
Tyrone Wheatley Jr., who played one season at SBU in 2018, signed with the Chicago Bears as an offensive lineman this month, according to reports.
Wheatley Jr. — the son of former New York Giants running back Tyrone Wheatley — played his junior year with the Seawolves before transferring to Morgan State to play for his dad.
After college, he spent time in the Spring League, a football development league, to rework his game and become an NFL offensive lineman. This offseason he earned a tryout with the Bears, which lead to the signing.
This marks the eighth player with Stony Brook ties vying for NFL roster spots this offseason.
The others are the following:
- Offensive lineman Timon Parris: Miami Dolphins (recently waived)
- Tight end Connor Davis: Cleveland Browns
- Defensive lineman Sam Kamara: Chicago Bears
- Defensive back Augie Contressa: Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Defensive back TJ Morrison: Las Vegas Raiders
- Defensive back Chris Cooper: Denver Broncos (recently waived)
- Defensive back Gavin Heslop: Seattle Seahawks
Top: Edited photo by Stony Brook Athletics (credit: Facebook).