Three Connetquot staff members are being hailed as heroes for saving the lives of two students who were choking during lunch at school last month.
On Sept. 22, when a kindergarten student at Edward J. Bosti Elementary began choking on a chicken nugget they had brought from home, the student’s 1:1 aide, Lori Stellwagen, and general education aide Amy Loretta together successfully administered abdominal thrusts to dislodge the nugget from the child’s throat.
Five days later at Sycamore Avenue Elementary School, a fifth-grade student began choking on her lunch. At the site of the student choking, teacher’s aide Samantha Gallo jumped into action and performed the Heimlich maneuver, effectively dislodging the food from the child’s throat.
The three women were honored during the school district’s most recent Board of Education meeting.
“The Connetquot Central School District and the Board of Education are extremely proud of the selfless acts performed by all three aides and thanks them for ensuring the safety of each student,” the district said in a statement released today.
Top photo: Courtesy