Due to COVID-19 concerns, Babylon Village officials have canceled the annual Halloween parade this year.
As an alternative to the parade, the village will be hosting a trunk-or-treat and costume contest on Oct. 31 in the municipal parking lot behind Swell Taco.
The event will run from noon to 3 p.m. and the costume contest will be split into one hour sessions.
Mary Adams, a village trustee, said participants are encouraged to decorate their vehicles and there will be judges for the costume contest.
Candy will be handed out to children in individual goodie bags and merchants in the downtown area will have candy outside for the kids as well.
Participants must pre-register for the trunk-or-treat and costume contest by emailing the village at email@example.com.
So far, the event has around 12 to 15 cars for the trunk-or-treat, and around 40 kids registered to participate.
Face coverings and social distancing will be enforced at the event, and the number of children in each one-hour session will be monitored.
“The village has done such a great job in keeping our numbers low and keep everyone healthy,” Adams said. “I think residents are appreciative of it and I think anything that we could offer the children in a safe environment they will participate in.”
In regards to trick-or-treating on Halloween, the village is leaving it up to the discretion of Babylon Village residents.
From 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., select businesses in the village will be giving away candy to trick-or-treaters. Participants will have a pumpkin in their windows.
Mayor Ralph Scordino said he feels that the village must continue to be “smart” during these times, as the COVID-19 outbreak is ongoing.
“It’s not going away, we can’t let our guard down, and we have to prevent any upswings in cases, and that’s the priority we have in Babylon Village,” Scordino said.
“Be Babylon Village smart.”
Top: Scene from last year’s Halloween parade in Babylon Village