Clicky

Long Island man blackmailed minors for explicit images, pleads guilty in federal court

|
Man pressing buttons on phone in ominous setting

A Long Island man pleaded guilty Friday in federal court to sexual exploitation of a child and possession of child pornography after prosecutors said he orchestrated an extortion scheme targeting minors and young women over a five-year period.

West Hempstead 27-year-old Justin Poon admitted to the crimes during an appearance in Brooklyn federal court before U.S. Magistrate Judge James Cho, federal prosecutors said.

Poon was already a registered sex offender in New York state at the time of the offenses. He faces a mandatory minimum term of 25 years in prison and up to 70 years when he is sentenced, along with restitution to victims, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York.

“Although today’s guilty plea cannot undo the harm that Poon has caused to his victims, it does ensure that he will be incarcerated for decades,” said U.S. Attorney Joseph Nocella Jr., who called the defendant a “depraved sextortionist” who “terrorized dozens of victims.”

FBI officials said the case underscores ongoing nationwide efforts to target online exploitation networks.

FBI Assistant Director in Charge James Barnacle Jr. said the defendant “continued to exploit minors through extortion and production of sexually explicit videos” despite a prior conviction.

Poon’s conduct went on for at least five years, according to court filings and statements made in court. From December 2018 (and maybe earlier) through December 2023, prosecutors said, he targeted minor girls, inducing them to produce sexually explicit material for his own use and for sale online.

In one case, he allegedly persuaded a 16-year-old victim to create explicit images under his direction and later distributed them, prosecutors said.

Authorities also noted that Poon traveled across state lines to engage in sexual activity with another 16-year-old victim and recorded sexually explicit videos of her.

Prosecutors said the defendant carried out a parallel extortion scheme in which he obtained explicit images and videos by impersonating Snapchat customer support, tricking victims into revealing account passwords. He then allegedly threatened to release the material to victims’ friends and family unless they provided additional explicit content or payments.

In one exchange cited by prosecutors, a 16-year-old victim begged him not to “ruin [her] life,” saying she needed to attend university. He responded, “I don’t care,” court documents indicate.

Investigators later executed search warrants on Poon’s electronic devices and Dropbox accounts, where they identified child sexual abuse material involving at least 50 victims, authorities said.

Poon was previously convicted in 2021 of sexual misconduct involving a 15-year-old victim, prosecutors said.

Officials said the case is part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide program aimed at combating child sexual exploitation and abuse.

Top: Photo by Jonas Leupe.

Your Long Island news, delivered.

Your Long Island news, delivered.

Subscribe to the GLI Newsletter — its free

Our Local Supporters

Cops & Courts